Saturday, February 11, 2012

We Want A Snow Day!

Just another rainy Thursday.  It is mid-February and we are having a mild winter.  Don't get me wrong, I LIKE mild winters.  60 degree days in January are just my style.  I don't like frigid temperatures.  Snow means scraping my windshield.  Snow means wet clothes and cold fingers.  Snow means my hallway is littered with piles of boots, mittens and odd socks. 

And yet.  A snow day would be nice.  An unexpected day off where we can sleep in, suspend our regular schedule and stay home to play.  Our school has two "extra" days built in for weather.  My kids reeeeally want to take advantage of them.  Since the climate is not cooperating, they are taking matters into their own hands. 

Do you practice any snow-bringing rituals in your house?  When the weather forecast talks of snow, my kids both sleep with a spoon under their pillow.  They also have been known to turn their pajamas inside out and throw ice cubes out the window.  (Katherine told me the old way was to flush ice cubes down the toilet but nowadays that wastes water when you flush.  Even Jack Frost is going green!)  At school, the third grade teacher teaches her students a Snow Dance.  They all sing together:

Snow-chicky-wa-wa
Snow-chicky-wa-wa
Ooga-booga
Ooga-booga
Snow-chicky-wa-wa
Snow-chicky-wa-wa

You get the idea.  But it’s really the dance that’s key:  during the snow-chicky-wa-wa, you do the Egyptian dance move, and switch sides for each new line of the song.  I'm picturing a class full of 8 year olds channelling their inner Steve Martin.   Now, Ms. B tells her students to be careful with this powerful dance--a few years ago the whole class did it and we got Snowmageddon and didn't go to school for two weeks.  Then we had to make up time in the summer and that school year lasted until about the 4th of July.  So, if you try it, use it wisely. ;)

Yes, I'm ready for a little winter weather.  The world seems peaceful and pristine waking up to a freshly fallen snow.  The shock of cold air hits my lungs; the blinding light of the sun reflects off a shimmering white blanket.  As the world awakes, the neighborhood camaraderie begins:  shoveling, waving, snowball fights.   A snowman, a snow couch, sledding together.  Later, a bonfire in the cul-de-sac, hot chocolate with marshmallows. 

I can appreciate the advantages of a good snow as long as it doesn't disrupt my schedule for too long.  Just in case... I wonder if Ms. B knows of a Melting Dance too.





No comments:

Post a Comment