Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent Traditions

Something old, something new.  Something borrowed, something blue.  No, noone's getting married.  Today is the first Sunday of Advent and it is time for our Advent traditions.


Something Old: Grandpa Clark's dowel rod Christmas tree reminds me of spending Christmas in Pennsylvania.

After dinner my brother and I would sit in Grandpa's cozy shop next to his wood burning furnace.  Grandpa would smoke his pipe and let us hammer nails into wood scraps.  Then we'd head back inside for Grandma's famous chocolate cake with her amazing seven minute frosting.  I still can't make that frosting--mine always droops, but I have the dowel rod tree in my home now and it reminds me of my grandparents. 


Something New: Four tall taper candles
resting in a wreath of fresh evergreens

Each Sunday during Advent we light a new candle on our wreath symbolizing hope, peace, joy and love.  A few years ago, we began inviting a family to join us for dinner to share the tradition with us.  For me, it is a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the season of Christmas.
Something Borrowed: Advent Book Calendar

I love hearing about other people's traditions and ideas.  This one I borrowed from "Dana Made It".  Dana is an amazingly creative and crafty mother of three from Texas.  I love reading her blog and seeing pictures of her ideas (add talented photographer to her list of talents). She's sorta like Martha Stewart only way more down to earth and, to my knowledge, has never done jail time.   Up until now I've just admired her ideas but this time I thought, "Hey, I can do this!" http://www.danamadeit.com/2011/11/our-advent-calendar-and-a-list-for-getting-started.html  We unwrapped the first book last night and snuggled beneath the blanket to read together. Even the teenage boy stuck around for the story. 

Something Blue: Wreath of Bluebirds

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.  I don't know why, but lately I've been loving bluebirds so my mom sent me a box full of them.  I hung them all on the wreath above our mantle--perfect with the blue walls in our living room.  I already feel plenty of sunshine coming my way...

I wish you all a wonderful season of Advent full of fond memories, new traditions, friends, family and sunshine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment