Saturday, September 1, 2012

Here We Go!

Tuesday is first day of school.  Eighth grade for Jack.  Sixth grade for Katherine.  And Third grade for me. For the first time in 13 years, I have a full-time job. Not that motherhood isn't a full-time job, of course, but you know what I mean. I'm really excited.  

Being in part-time in kindergarten the last five years has been a blast. I think that's where the expressions "never a dull moment" and "just like herding cats" were originally invented. That said, I'm ready for a change and a new challenge. In third grade, the kids are old enough to already know the basics of school but young enough that they don't roll their eyes at me too often. 

Besides excited, I'm nervous too. At first I wrote down everything I wanted to do and I only need about 27 more hours in every day to make it work. So I had to make some realistic adjustments. The bad news: the house won't be as clean.  The good news: I won't be home to look at it! We created a family schedule for cleaning, homework and meals and activities.  It all looks good on paper. That will be the mantra I keep repeating over and over when it all falls apart by Wednesday. 

Really, I know it won't be perfect. It will never go according to plan. This new chapter in our lives will never look like the rough draft I've drawn out. But I also know it will never completely fall apart. I have the help of my loving family, supportive friends and my awesome teammates. And usually, its the unexpected events that make the best stories later. See? It all looks good on paper.


3 comments:

  1. Thinking about you, Alli & hoping you have a fabulous first week of teaching 3rd grade! What lucky kids!

    love you, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll help you pull weeds..if you tell me what a great job I am doing at pulling them..hey..I have a teenager at home and I need all the PRAISE I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoyed your first week and any crises were minor.

    ReplyDelete