Sunday, May 20, 2012

Happy Mother's Day-Take Two

Last Sunday I spent the entire day reading on the couch with my feet propped up.  Now, remembering that last Sunday was Mother's Day, you may come to the conclusion that my children gave me the much appreciated gift of a day off.  Unfortunately, this was not the case.

I did receive wonderful gifts from both Jack and Katherine.  Jack gave me a copper bracelet that he made in Shop class.  He hammered, shaped and stamped it all by himself--it either says MOM or WOW depending on which way you look at it.  Katherine gave me a beautiful poem and coupons for future plans together.

I opened all my gifts while lying supine with a heating pad pressed against my lower back.  It hurt to walk.  It hurt to stand.  It hurt to bend.  "We'll leave you alone so you can get some rest," Paul said.  And so they did.
So there I was by myself on the couch and feeling pretty low.  I don't actually like to lie around doing nothing.  I don't find it the least bit relaxing.  What I really wanted to do was go for a run!  I even missed Jack's baseball game because the thought of sitting on the hard metal bleachers for two hours made me cry. 
Last week was rough.  I borrowed a back brace from a friend and started popping ibuprofen like they were tic-tacs.  No exercise.  No lifting.   By Friday I was finally starting to feel better.

Yesterday I made it to Jack's baseball game to watch him start as pitcher.  He pitched 3 innings and only had one earned run.  I wish I had remembered to take his picture but I get so nervous watching him pitch that I forgot.  Then Katherine and I ran a 5K together this morning for Girls On The Run.  She ran a steady pace the entire time!  For most people, Mother's Day was officially last weekend.  Watching my kids persevere and succeed  made me so proud, I decided to get up off the couch and celebrate being a Mother again this weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment