Thursday, September 1, 2011

A New Title

Kindergarten Coach?  Too cutesy.
Curriculum and Assessment Consultant? Too stuffy.

The signature on my outgoing work emails includes my old title "Kindergarten Teacher."  Monday was my first day of work in my new capacity as an hourly employee.  Rather than working full-time this year, I'll be working part-time to help support the new kindergarten teachers.

"What are you going to do?" people keep asking.  I'm looking for a short answer to describe my new role--a new job title. The honest answer is that I'd like to do whatever is most helpful.  Having taught kindergarten for the past 4 years, I'm happy to help in any capacity.  I hope to help some with curriculum development as our school expands to a full-day K program.  I'm available and trained to administer the standardized assessments.  Of course, I'm delighted to work with the students and spend time in a classroom.

The problem I'm having is that my new title ideas somehow allude to my being in charge or being an expert.  That's not at all the case.  The three new kindergarten teachers are all experienced and bring different strengths to contribute.  Having the chance to work with them this year will provide opportunities in learning and growth for me personally.  Meeting together will push us to develop, stretch and improve as educators.  Spending time collaborating and learning from each other make us all more effective teachers. 

Thinking this all through, I edit my outgoing email signature.  I position my cursor after "teacher" and backspace 4 letters.  Then I add an "m."

Now, under my name, it says "Kindergarten Team."  I'm a part of the K Team.  I'm really excited!

Go Team!


No comments:

Post a Comment